Sunday 4 May 2014

Review 9: Nespresso 'Leggero Lungo'

Source: Nespresso
Date: 2 May 2014
Country: East Africa/Central America/South America
Beans: Arabica
Preparation: Nespresso machine - Lungo

Nose of grounds: N/A
Colour of brew: Red-brown
Nose of brew: Light, floral, spices.
Early flavours: Cinnamon
Finish: Medium, balanced finish with spices.

Tasting notes:

I'm enjoying the variety of Nespresso flavours and getting in a lot of reviews with the current client work I'm doing - there's certainly a lot of opportunity to explore the world of coffee albeit from a single producer. But it's interesting to see the variety of the coffees produced by a single machine.


I presumed that the Leggero Lungo I tried today would be fairly light, per my enquiries with Google Translate. I noticed that the coffee was partly from East Africa, and the immediate sensation that I got when getting a sniff of the aroma was of the floral notes that accompanied my first two reviews: Yirgacheffe and Mocha Djimmah.

But the major flavour that I noticed when tasting this coffee was cinnamon. From the first moment it hit my tongue, I could feel it - partly sweet, like an apple pie, but increasingly with the kind of sharpness that you get if you have ever tried a stick of Big Red (cinnamon-flavoured gum). It was nowhere near as strong as the latter, but as flavours in coffee go, this was fairly major. And it worked! I didn't feel like it was dominating to the expense of all the other flavours - it was a slightly unusual note that I could easily get used to. The whole cup of coffee was pretty light and flowery, so the notes of cinnamon, even though they stood out, gave it a nice edge.

All in all, a pleasingly light cup of coffee - something that doesn't go straight to the head or sink to the bottom of the stomach.

Coffee maker's notes:
A delicate blend of lightly roasted East African, South and Central American Arabicas. Lungo Leggero is an aromatic coffee with mild notes of jasmine.

No comments:

Post a Comment